Generate a Certificate Signing Request for IIS 4.0
Follow these instructions to generate a CSR for your Web site.
You must have Service Pack 4 or higher, or MS Internet Explorer 5 and higher
The Server Gated Cryptographic extension can be enabled or disabled from the registry.
- Open the Key Manager. Go to the Key menu and select Create New Key.
- Select Put the request in a file that you will send to an authority. Enter a file and path in the text box that you will remember.
- Enter your key name as specified in the previous step. Enter and confirm a password.
Warning: If you lose the password, you must purchase another certificate.
- When creating a CSR you must follow these conventions.
Enter the Distinguished Name Field information.
The following characters can not be accepted: < > ~ ! @ # $ % ^ * / \ ( ) ?&.
This includes commas.
Distinguished Name Field Explanation
The fully qualified domain name for your web server. This must be an exact match.
Example: If you intend to secure the URL https://www.ravand.com, then your CSR's common name must be www.ravand.com.
The exact legal name of your organization. Do not abbreviate your organization name.
Example: Ravand Inc.
Section of the organization
City or Locality
The city where your organization is legally located.
The state or province where your organization is legally located. Can not be abbreviated.
The two-letter ISO abbreviation for your country.
Example: CA = Canada
Example: John Smith
Example: [email protected]
- After you close out of the key manager, click on Yes to Commit all Changes.
Warning: If you do not click yes, your private key will not be saved and your certificate from Ravand will not install.
- Submit your CSR to Ravand.
Note: Remember to back up your key pair file.
Check the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\ SCHANNEL
By default, there is no value or key for EnableSGC. You have to add it in order to support SGC, and you would set the value to 1 - that is, you would create a new key "EnableSGC" and set its value to 1. If the "EnableSGC" key already exists, just set EnableSGC=0.
See also the following Microsoft articles: